It’s almost herb season! Many times we grow so many herbs and they go bad before we know what do with them. Here are some ideas on how to use up your favorite herbs!
How to make simple syrup: Dissolve equal parts sugar and water together over a burner. Add a heaping handful of your herb of choice.
How to make infused oil: Fill mason jars/containers 1/2 way with herbs of your choice and fill with oil. Let sit for a few days before using.
BASIL: DNA protection, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, has nutrients essential for cardiovascular health.
- Basil Simple Syrup: add to lemonade or a Tom Collins cocktail.
- Basil Infused Oil: use as a marinade or to dress a salad/pasta.
ROSEMARY: boosts memory, improves mood thus decreasing stress, soothes stomach, and gives immune system strength.
- Rosemary Simple Syrup: add to a vodka tonic or a tall glass of iced tea.
- Rosemary Infused Oil: use as a massage oil or use in place of regular oil in a homemade biscuit recipe.
SAGE: anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and promotes better brain function.
- Sage Simple Syrup: create a sage julep or mix into a simple gin cocktail, or add a splash to your morning juice.
- Sage Infused Oil: Use in a meatloaf in place of olive oil, or use in place of olive oil/butter when sauteeing vegetables.
MINT: soothes nausea and headaches, clears respiratory disorders and cough, relieves asthma, decreases depression and fatigue.
- Mint Simple Syrup: Keep some in the fridge at all times to add a splash to your iced coffee.
CILANTRO: anti-oxidants, essential oils, vitamins, dietary fiber, and lowers LDL levels in blood.
- Cilantro Infused Oil: Use in salsa, guacamole, or hummus.